Also, being confident in both technical and non-technical skills will increase your ability to work well under pressure. To boost your skill level and confidence, take one or two soft skills courses per year, as well as any technical courses relevant to your job role. A help desk technician must have both hard and soft skills because the position requires a strong technical understanding as well as the ability to communicate clearly with others. For example, when a user has a question, the help desk technician must be able to diagnose the IT issue as well as explain the solution to the user. This article is part of an IT Career News series called Your Next Move. These articles take an inside look at the roles related to CompTIA certifications. Each article will include the responsibilities, qualifications, related job titles and salary range for the role.
This certification demonstrates knowledge of network concepts, installation, configuration, management and troubleshooting. If you’re interested in becoming a help desk engineer, one of the first things to consider is how much education you need. We’ve determined that 51.1% of help desk engineers have a bachelor’s degree.
Top 15 Financial Modeling Courses, Certifications & Classes Online
The job allows you to get your foot in the door for higher positions, such as an IT manager, a network administrator or an IT security specialist. Whether you work full- or part-time, you may have some flexibility with your hours. Some help desk support members work on an on-call basis, responding to queries when clients are having problems. Others work outside of traditional work hours so that they don’t tie up the networks or systems while other employees need to access them.
- Help desk support specialists are needed across all industries and can create a niche skillset by learning and specializing more in certain types of technology, systems, or hardware.
- This means customers are given automated ticketing to ensure their query is directed to the right help desk support engineer.
- IT helps desks also require technicians to have a number of skills.
- When people have issues related to electronics, networks, or software, they turn to Help desk support professionals.
Martin Yate is a career coach and one of the foremost experts in the world of job search and career management. Help Desk Engineers in America make an average salary of $52,444 per year or $25 per hour. The top 10 percent makes over $74,000 per year, while the bottom 10 percent under $36,000 per year. Virtualization Management – Virtualization is driving Information Technology to new heights. In this course, you will learn how to deploy, implement, manage and maintain the industry’s leading VM platforms. This course covers how to use ServiceNow to build and manage workflows in your organization. It also explores how to best approach automation, access control rules, scripting, working with a knowledge base, and more.
Help Desk Engineer Related Careers
Analysts will generally receive health, vision and dental benefits and technicians have the benefit of often being able to perform the IT help desk job from their own home as well as receive occasional other health benefits. The team at Collabera explains that as an IT professional gains experience and expertise, they can expect to see their salaries and benefits improve significantly. A CompTIA A+ certification demonstrates solid proficiency with computer hardware, while a Microsoft IT certification such as an MSCE indicates a deep knowledge of how to become a help desk engineer the Microsoft operating system. However, a publication from Microsoft indicates that they have ceased offering and supporting many of the older certifications, and offers guidance on what else you can do to acquire accreditation. Job listings will sometimes have listings for “help desk analysts” or “help desk technicians,” or simply “IT help desk.” What’s the difference? The two titles can sometimes be used interchangeably, but more often an analyst will receive higher pay and be expected to work with minimal supervision, having more experience.
As a Help Desk Technician, you will provide Tier 1 support to our customers via phone, email and computer chat. You will ask appropriate questions and use knowledge and resources to diagnose and resolve their issues. You will escalate issues that extend beyond Tier I span of control. A big part of any IT https://remotemode.net/ support business is answering the phones and helping clients with the issues they are facing. In this article, we’ll explore these five central questions surrounding the work of a help desk technician. I’m currently back in school to finish my bachelor’s degree but I still am unable to break through.
Free Systems Administration Training Courses (Cybrary)
The ACM offers many benefits, including discounts on products and services, career advice and access to online resources. The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects job prospects for help desk engineers to increase at a much faster than average rate over the next decade.
- It also serves as an excellent option for those in need of retraining.
- Working in a technical support role can give you hands-on experience resolving computer problems.
- So if you’re already there, just make sure your name is “in” so it can be considered for upcoming openings.
- They will act as intermediaries between their organization and its clients by continuing to take ownership of the problem and ensuring that it has been appropriately prioritized and is getting due attention.
- The technical support job description closely fits that of a help desk technician, so consider that title when job hunting, though it may involve traveling to clients’ homes to perform hands-on repairs.
- There are also courses that train you to run an IT help desk from a local or remote location.